Sunday, 19 July 2015

Freedom by Lynne Moncrieff



Stencils are not something I automatically reach for. Well, that was until I received the newly launched Dinky Stencils from That’s Crafty! I already have my favourites, two of which are included in my post for this week.







Supplies

 

That’s Crafty! Dinky Stencils:- Brick Repeat and Brick Background
That’s Crafty! White/Geyboard panel (a fabulous large size. I cut it into three individual panels, working on one of the panels for this artwork)
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish:- Space Cadet, Lake Wanaka, Blue Oyster, Stone, Chalk,  Old Gold (also used as a spray), Toffee and Caramel
Distress Ink Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain
Prima Finnabair Jump Rings
Old Credit Card/Plastic Palette Knife
Hole Punch
Heat Gun
Jewellery Pliers
Extras:- Vintage Lace and Rusty Tin Wire




Instructions



Apply Toffee, Caramel, Blue Oyster, Lake Wanaka and Space Cadet to panel. Heat set then randomly stencil the bricks onto the panel with Distress Inks. Lightly mist with water then heat set. 


Now to add texture. Applied with my fingertips, I used Grunge Paste and both stencils to create texture on the panel. As I worked I created texture with my fingertips to give the bricks a rough appearance. I quickly dried the Grunge Paste and with diluted Frescos and Distress Inks I applied colour in a loose fashion to the bricks. To finish this stage I sprayed Old Gold (decanted into a mister bottle with water) onto the panel allowing it to drip down and into the crevices. Edging the panel with Distress Inks was the final step before laying aside and moving onto stamping.


  


 

Sponging Caramel, Lake Wanaka, Stone and Chalk onto white cardstock I set about stamping the bird, birdcage, egg and sentiments. I knew I wanted to hang the birdcage from the bird’s beak. I punched a hole into the top of the birdcage then used jumprings to allow it to suspend from the beak. A dab of Glossy Accents holds it in place on the beak. The sentiments were cut into word tiles, with everything edged with Distress Inks. 









As you can see, I layered torn pieces of vintage lace to both top and bottom edges and also wrapped rusty tin wire around the bottom edge.


  




When I work with birds as I theme it is usually either rustic or vintage in style. This time I was aiming for the appearance of a dilapidated industrial building where the bricks have taken on a beautiful patina over the years and their distressed appearance actually enhances their beauty and with the metal elements of the building turned to rust. 


I hope you will take a look at all the Dinky Stencils available. There is such a range of styles, surely something for everyone and such reasonable price point.


 

Until next time,


Lynne

17 comments:

  1. a stunning project Lynne with the most amazing composition of stamps and texture. Love those new stencils and have added them to my wish list.

    Have a great day

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne love this, the colours, the stamping, the bits of torn lace brilliant and of course the stencilling. Great piece!!
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful composition Lynne, gorgeous paint effects!
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing piece Lynne.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this Lynne, it's sooooo beautiful and delicate,an absolute stunner in fact! Welcome to the world of stencil addiction too ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! So soft colours, such a pretty design and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Really fabulous Lynne, I'm totally in awe, love this new bird panel, so BEAUTIFUL. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! Really fabulous Lynne, I'm totally in awe, love this new bird panel, so BEAUTIFUL. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous work, Lynne! There is such an affinity between your work and ornithological themes. I think it is the delicacy of your art, which always reminds me of egg-shells and its ethereal quality, which evokes the flight of downy wings. And then you ground all this with perfect use of texture as you have here with the bricks. Lovely use of the new stencils. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really stunning, Lynne - the brick texture is wonderful, and I love the colours.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Nice to know about the Dinky Stencils, great idea, and you used them well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear friend, I so hope you will reach for more stencils in the futur, as this work is just stunning!
    So delicate, and beautiful, the texture on the bricks are amazing ,and love the wire and lace together .
    Such an adorable art piece Lynne !! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must have been a mortar man in a previous life as this work is stunning and just so realistic. Lovely, lifelike piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning creation Lynne. Love the colours and the stencilling and stamping look amazing!
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely piece, Lynne! Great job on the bricks. They look almost real!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...