Friday, 26 June 2015

The Scenic Route by Fliss Goodwin


Hi there, I have a little piece of nature to share this week, which was inspired by the routes our Sat Nav took us on last year on our holiday to Wales. Some of them were somewhat hair-raising but the views were worth it.




 

 

Ingredients: 


Archival Inks – Jet Black, Fern Green
Martha Stewart Satin Acrylic Paint – Geranium, Green Olive
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylic Paint – Blush, Haystack, Guacamole
Mixed Media Paper
Old Credit Card or Store Card
Tim Holtz Small Talk Stickers

 

Recipe:

 


I cut a piece of mixed media paper approximately 18x21cm and a piece of greyboard the same size. The flower stamps are quite large so you need something fairly large to balance them.
 

I used an old store card to apply the Paper Artsy paints to the mixed media paper, spreading with my fingers where necessary. A bit messy but I was aiming for a fairly textured, grungy look. Allow this to dry.
 

The next thing I did was to build up a meadow scene, which I created with the Martha Stewart acrylic paints applied with the side of the store card, swiping the paint down the lower half of the painted paper.




 
 
 

As you can see, this is how it started out and I just carried on swiping with the green then the red paint, adding smudging (with my fingers again) until I was happy with the effect. When the paint was dry I stamped the script image on the top half using mostly second generation stamping for a softer effect.
 
 
I then stamped 6 poppy images on the thin, white card as I wanted to do some decoupage to make the poppies more dimensional. I painted them with the watered down remains of the red and green paints and cut them out when they were dry. I cut out just part of 3 of the images to use as the extra layer.
 



 
 
 

I assembled the panel by sandwiching a piece of green ribbon between the painted paper and the greyboard. I stamped some stalks on the panel and then added the layered poppies. I finished off with the scenic route small talk sticker.




 
 
 
Have a great weekend and see you next week.
 
 
Fliss x

11 comments:

  1. The poppies are spectacular at the moment - and so is this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stunning field of poppies Fliss! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning card Fliss. Love those poppies and all the bright summer fresh colours. Gorgeous panel and great tutorial. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really lovely. Love the background next to the red poppies.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fliss this captures the current countryside beautifully, fabulous poppy field
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning Fliss, you've captured the beauty of a Poppy field perfectly ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only am I impressed with this beautiful, beautiful artwork but I am so impressed with your source of inspiration!
    You perfectly captured the countryside. In fact, it reminds me of one of my favourite adverts when I was young for Cadbury Flake, a young woman painting watercolours in a field when the rain starts to fall. I am sure I had fanciful notions that I could be an artist wafting around fields, painting!!!
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fliss I love your summer meadow. The hot vibrant colours capture the essence of summer so well I can almost hear the crickets singing. Love it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous poppies, so cool with the layering for dimension, and I love the layered grasses too.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...