Friday, 29 May 2015

Dreaming In Layers by Fliss Goodwin



 

 

Hi there, I have a journal page style creation to share this week, which uses one of my favourite techniques to achieve a 3 dimensional look that is actually only one layer by layering stamping. I’ve also used quite a lot of different stamps, which I’ll list below but you could use the texture and script stamps you already own for a similar effect.
 
 
 

Ingredients:

 

Stamps I Used:


 Stampendous Cling Stamp – Glance
 Carabelle Studio A6 Stamps – Libellules et Papillons, Reach For The Stars By Birgit   Koopsen

PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paints – China Blue, Blush
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Light Hansa Yellow, Titan Buff
Bottle Lid – I stamped circles with this

 

Recipe:

 

I started off by colouring a piece of mixed media paper on the smoother side using the paints applied with my fingers. Very messy but it gave the look I wanted. I applied them randomly apart from adding the pink paint roughly where I wanted to stamp the face. I pressed the paper on to pick up the paint and then misted with water and pulled a couple more prints with some thin card to use on another project.
 

Once the paper was dry I stamped on the face first with the grey ink. As I used the smooth side of the paper it stamped quite well, only a little misty which fit in well with my plan. If you want to use the textured side of the paper, it’s probably better to stamp the face on tissue paper and tear it out and glue it on with matt medium.
 

I then stamped on the butterflies using the same grey ink. I find that if you use the same ink for all the stamping and add interest by second generation stamping, it helps to draw the elements together. I next stamp on the journal text image using first and second generation stamping.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The next step was to stamp on some circles with the bottle lid, followed by the honeycomb texture stamp. I stamped the butterfly and dragonfly background stamp in the bottom left corner, then next to the face on the right edge without re-inking.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I stamped the dreamer text near the face and then added partial image stamping with the journal text and the butterfly background using second generation stamping until I was happy with the effect.
 
 
I finished off by adding colour to face and butterflies with coloured pencils.
 
 
 
Have a great weekend and see you next week.
 
 
Fliss x

12 comments:

  1. Great layers Fliss and just love your colour combo
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does have a dreamy quality, Fliss. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo beautiful Fliss, very delicate and dreamy and the colour palette is just stunning too
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should have such beautiful dreams!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and intriguing. WONDERFUL. j

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soft muted look is beautiful.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great techniques Fliss, this is beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous, a dreamy quality and so elegant.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is fabulous Fliss, what is second generation stamping ? Love the effect and would like to try something like this. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June, thanks for your lovely comment.
      Second generation stamping comes about simply by inking up your chosen stamp once, stamping it once and then stamping again without re-inking. This gives a slightly faded look to the second lot of stamping which is how you get the dimensional look I have on my project.
      Hope this helps.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
    2. Ok thanks Fliss, i guessed it was that but just wanted to be sure. x

      Delete
  10. So pretty and delicate - the colours are lovely and the soft look of the stamping works so well.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...