Thursday, 23 April 2015

ATC sized Journal by Carol Fox


 
 
 


I have been making a few of these lately simply because I enjoy doing them and I like working on this size page at the moment. I quite often make up my ATC’s into these books once I have done them and they are a lovely way to send a set for a swap. For this tutorial I have used pages that I have used up some of the odd scraps I have had left from cards and other odd makes, so it’s an mixture of backgrounds done with Dylusions inks, acrylic paints, Brushos, stencils and even some Gelli plate scraps.

I started by cutting a piece of medium weight card to 3.5 inches high by approx 8 inches, the height is important but not the length at this point. I scored the card along the longer length at ¼ of an inch intervals, I then concertinaed this up, as shown in the photo. (I did not score my whole length as I would not need it for my book, but you can score as much as you want, the more you score and fold the fatter your book will be).
 

 

I cut my backgrounds to the size of an ATC which is 2.5 x 3.5 inches. I cut 10 pieces/pages for my book, but it is up to you how many pages you want. See my nice assortment of backgrounds, all those odd leftovers getting used up.

 

 
 


I now assembled the inside pages of my book. I used Cosmic Shimmer Glue to attach my pages to the concertinaed piece of card. Attach a piece of card to the front of the first peak on the piece of card.
 

 

Spread glue onto a second piece of card and attach it to the back of the first placing it over the back of the same peak.
 

 

Carry on in this way until you have the amount of pages you want in your book. Trim off any excess card from the spine leaving a piece at each end to attach your cover to.
 

 

I cut two pieces of Kraft card for my covers (2.5 x 3.5 inches) and attached these to the outside of the two short pieces I left at the end of my spine.
 

 

I cut two pieces of patterned scrap to the sizes of 3.5 x 2.5 inches to cover the inside of the covers, and added a length of tape to the outside spine to cover the “page hinges” and to finish it off.

I stamped a simple black image onto my front cover adding a word from the Tim Holtz Big Chat book. I finished it off with a few hand drawn lines. 

I used

Left over scrap backgrounds or make some for the project using, Dylusions Ink Sprays, Acrylic paint, Brushos and some of the great selection of stencils available
Cosmic Shimmer Glue
Washi Tape
Black Archival Ink Pad
Kaisercraft Windsor Stamp
Tim Holtz Big Chat Stickers
Kraft Card
Black Pen
 

Carol x

3 comments:

  1. What a very clever idea, Sue, and the instructions are easy enough even for ME to understand! I will definitely try this. Like you, I have a lot of "background" scraps, whether it is original art or just scraps left over from cardmaking. Thanks for the tute, my friend! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little book Carol it is a fab idea. I've only just started to use ATCs and will definitely be making some little books in the future. Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Carol and a wonderful way to use up those leftovers too.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...