Monday, 16 March 2015

Catrina by Amanda Southern


Hi Amanda here and for this Mondays Post I have used one of the new stamps from Prima’s new additions, I was a bit stuck for choice really but there was just something about his one so I had to have it. I have used from the latest additions to the Prima Bloom range “Catrina” these are huge stamps and fabulous to lose yourself in with your preferred colouring medium. I can admit to losing a few hours colouring her in but I find it very relaxing.
 


 
 
 
 
My background has been created on the 8” x 10” Gelli Plate. First layer of my gelli print is randomly colours of acrylic paint brayered across and a pull taken. Next layer is black acrylic paint first then lay your stencil on, I have used “Filmstrip” by Balzer Designs TCW but most stencils would work. Leaving the stencil on your gelli plate put on a 2nd piece of paper, not your first print, to remove the black from the spaces in the stencil. Remove the stencil and then returning to your first pull take a print from the black remaining on your gelli plate.
 
I then stamped “Catrina” onto mixed media card/stamping card with black Archival ink. To colour her I first laid down a light wash of water colour, I have used Tim Holtz Distress inks to do this. I like to have a pale base colour down first for some reason, it’s just what I do but you don’t need to.
 
I then coloured her using Spectrum Noir Colouring Pencils, blending solution and paper stumps. To then tone the image down and grunge her up a little I blended her in with black Distress ink using the Mini Blending Tool. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Before I added her to the background I thought it just needed something else so I ripped up some black net and even burnt holes into it to rough it up before I then stitched it to the background. You will find that I tend to use my sewing machine on quite a few projects I do I just love the texture that it adds and it also makes me believe that I can sew!!!

 
 
 
 
 
 
I stamped the sentiment that comes with the stamp onto some scraps of my background and added them with Pinflair 3D gel for some dimension.
 
Finally matted and layered on black and then purple card and onto an 8”x8” card blank.
 

Items used:- 

 
Stencil – TCW Filmstrip
Pinflair 3D Gel
Black Mesh
Sewing Machine
 
 
See you next Monday
 
Love

 
Amanda X

8 comments:

  1. Awesome creation Amanda with an amazing amount of detail. Love it!
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,your colouring skills really are exceptional Amanda,this is done beautifully. Loving the grunge touch too,ties it all together perfectly. Love the addition of the mesh too,wonder where that's from?
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL Amanda, loving the Gelli Plate background, the stencil is amazing and the added lace sewn onto the background is just wonderful. Liking the new Prima face, she is definitely different and very striking :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Love the fact the colouring is with Spectrum Noir pencils. Looks brilliant, I'm still getting to grips with my pencils, but do find them much easier to use than markers or Aqua markers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that background and beautiful colour work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, she's a little bit scary but very beautiful too! So dramatic!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Love that gelli print and stitched background

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...