Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Carve Your Own by Donna Gray


Hello everyone, 

Donna here today and I thought I’d show you how carving your own stamps can’t only be such fun but easy too. 

Those who know me, know I love carving my own stamps for so many different reasons but I know a lot of you are a bit intimidated about where to start. So, I thought I would show you some simple shapes to carve which make wonderful background stamps for any project you’re working on. I have a detailed tutorial on my blog so I’m just showing you here what I have carved.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Really easy, simple shapes but you wouldn’t believe how versatile these are. These were carved from Speedy Carve, which in my opinion is the best rubber out there.
 
 
So, now I have my very own stamps I can get to work on what I want to create to show you today.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Here’s what I did: 

 

Take a size 8 tag and randomly cover with a mixture of paint, mop up tags are great for this. I used DecoArt paints for this but of course any paints will do.
 
 
Next, take a stencil of your choice, I’ve used a Dylusions one, and dab white paint through the stencil….always remember less is more!
 
 
Then taking your lovely, newly carved stamps, stamp randomly on the background, I used Archival inks for this. 
 
 
I then took one of the wonderful new Dina Wakley stamps and stamped on some patterned paper, doing the same with my bigger heart stamp too.
 
 
Adhere to your tag, then stamp your little heart stamp with red ink on the Dina stamp and cover in lovely, sparkly Stickles.  
 
 
I added a finishing touch with my Crop-A-Dile and added some white eyelets. The words are the new Tim Holtz Chit Chat stickers but of course any word stamp or computer generated words would do ;)
 
 
 

Supplies List: 

 

 
 
Hope you like it
 
 
Donna x
 

14 comments:

  1. Brilliant! If these were a set of stamps I would buy them! They work brilliantly with the Dina image. Love this piece Donna.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tag! The background you created with your stamps is awesome! The Dina stamp looks great. I must check it out. I really want to try some stamp carving now! Thank you for the inspiration, Inky! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Amanda, great stamps Donna and fab tag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab set of custom stamps, Donna. And so versatile. They are just perfect for your Dina tag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These set is just perfect .. and your tag is so beautiful!
    Great!
    xoxoxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. The eyelets are a fab edition to your wonderful tag, they really bring it all together. Carving your own stamps is something i would love to do, i even have the kit but am apprehensive about the actual carving. You only live once, so deep breath and i'll give it a go...

    Wonderful stamps Donna, the shapes are very versatile and i would buy them too:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Donna! I think that swirly heart is my favourite stamp so far! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tag, I love the primitive stamping look you achieved, great colours too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have absolutely proved your point, and I am intrigued! My husband used to carve stamps when he was "letter boxing," and I am sure the carving supplies are still around (somewhere). I am going to try my hand at this! Thanks for the inspiration. Oh, yes, my friend, great tag! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tag Donna and your stamp carving looks amazing too!
    Think I might have to give this a go too.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab tag Donna love your stamps. I love using my own stamps too makes for a very unique piece of art xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a brilliant tag Donna, I love your hand carved stamps xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great background stamps, fabulous tag! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic hand-carved stamps, Donna - they're so cool, and they work brilliantly with the Dina silhouette - fabulous tag!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...