Thursday, 19 February 2015

Gelli Dog on the Blog by Carol Fox


 


This week I have got around to trying something that has been on my to do list for ages. Gelli Printing onto fabric. This is the result of my efforts and I think I have ended up with the cutest little stuffed dog I have ever made.

I used just a basic white poly cotton fabric, very thin and very cheap £1.99 per meter which will give you an idea of the quality to look for if you want to try this yourself. I used the A4 plate so I cut my fabric into pieces slightly larger than this.

I started with several small spots of 3 different paint colours on my plate and mixed them as I spread them with my brayer. I then pulled off a print on my fabric exactly as you would if it was paper, I then re-brayered with the paint left on my brayer and plate and pulled a 2nd sheet off. (I had worked out I would need 2 for my dog). I then used cream paint and a stencil to add a bit of interest to the fabric background. I then left these to dry thoroughly.
 

 

I used an old pattern that I have had for years for my dog and because I had transferred it to copy paper it was nice and firm to draw round which I did directly onto my painted fabric, do avoid pinning it to cut out as you may get in holes left in your fabric, because once it dries, the paint makes it feel a bit like a heavy canvas and is harder to handle and sew with, that is why a lightweight fabric is best to start with.

Once it was cut out, I laid my pieces down face up, and added gesso to the pieces through a stencil with Cut and Dry Foam and when this was dry I added my background stamping in black Archival ink and my image and quote I stamped with black acrylic paint to make them stand out more.

I now added random stamping to decorate it and sewed it together as my pattern directed.
 

 
 


If you don’t want to start with a shape like this, a cube would work really well, or a stuffed heart would be a fun shape to start with too.

I used

A4 Gelli Plate 
Acrylic Paints 
Brayer 
Gesso 
Cut and Dry Foam 
Stencils 
Dina Wakley Rubber Stamps: Collaged Hearts, Textures
Sewing Machine or Hand Stitching
Toy Stuffing
 
Carol

14 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous ! What a cute and amazing creation !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool I may have to try this myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool I may have to try this myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Such a brilliant idea Carol....I think I'll have to start with a heart shape first though ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute ! Brilliant Carol.
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's gorgeous, Carol. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a really cute little fellow Carol and such a fab idea too.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol, I love the title - Dog on the Blog lol. What pattern did you use or did you make it up? He is super cute and now my daughter wants one! (I do too! lol) take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol, I love the title - Dog on the Blog lol. What pattern did you use or did you make it up? He is super cute and now my daughter wants one! (I do too! lol) take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a Mccalls pattern M4893, comes with a cat too. Carol x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...