Thursday, 18 December 2014

Flooded Resin Christmas Decoration by Carol Fox


 
 

 

I have a Christmas decoration for you this week. I like to make a new decoration each year for my tree and it’s nice when we get the box out to decorate the tree to look at them and see how my crafting has changed over the years.
 

I started with a little MDF double sided frame I had in my stash and I painted this with gold acrylic paint.
 

I then sponged some Phthalo Green-Blue DecoArt Media Paint over it to give it a patina finish.
 

I stamped my image twice onto cream lightweight card and cut them to size to fit inside the frame area on both sides of the decoration.
 

I glued two jewellery findings together back to back and poked holes in the bottom of the frame to push the end of the finding into. I held it in place with Glossy Accents.
 

I added some beads and micro beads and pushed these into the edges and corners of the recess on one side of the frame. I now mixed the clear resin according to the instructions, mixing it very gently to avoid any bubbles.
 

I poured this gently into the recess until it was level, I left this for about half an hour to set very slightly. I then added a few more micro beads to the resin layer and then added more resin so it flooded over the frame area. I now added gold leaf to the outer edges of the frame, this slightly sunk into the resin in some places giving it a nice layered look.



 
 

I now left this over night to set. When it was completely set I flipped it and repeated it all with the other side.
 

When it was rock hard I added some Gilding wax to highlight bits of the frame.
 

I added a glass droplet to the bottom, and a short length of chain for hanging.

 

I used 


Gilding Wax
I used a glass droplet but these Tim Holtz Snowflakes would look lovely on the bottom of the decoration, but I did not have any to use
Ideaology Chain
Small frame from my stash
 
 
Carol

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...