Wednesday, 15 October 2014

In The Garden Door Hanger by Alison Hall


 

 

This week I've been using DecoArt Media paints, together with Prima Art Basics mediums to alter a plywood door hanger.

 

Here's what I used... 


Prima Art Basics - Soft Matte Gel and 3D Matte Gel
DecoArt Media Acrylic Paint - Cobalt Teal Hue, Yellow Green Light & Quinacridone Gold

 

Here's what I did...

 

1. I started by using the black Archival ink to stamp images from the Artistic Outpost 'Bluebird' set onto a 12ins x 6ins piece of ivory tissuestock. 
 
 
 
 
 

2. Next, I used Soft Matte Gel to glue the stamped tissue to the door hanger, wrinkling it to get some nice texture. I sealed it with the Soft Matte Gel too.
 
 
 
 
 

3. I used my finger to add some white texture sand around the edges, for some more texture. Once this was dry, I applied a thinish coat of white gesso, dried it, then added a coat of cobalt teal hue. The Deco rt Media paints are transluscent, so you can still see a bit of the stamped tissue. Next came a watered down wash of Yellow Green Light, then once this was dry, a watered down wash of Quinacridone Gold, to give it a nice rusty look. I love how it settles in all the nooks and crannies.
 
 


 

4. I added some of the lovely Botanical Remnant Rubs to the hanger, then gave the whole hanger a coat of the Americana Matte Varnish. This helps the rub ons to stay in place, and also makes the edges of them disappear. I finished off with some metal flower embellishments, glued in place with the 3D Matte Gel. The flowers were painted with Quinacridone Gold to give them a rusty look.
 
 
 
 

 

I hope my project inspires you to get altering.

 

Until next time,

 

Alison xxx

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful hanger, Alison. Love the luscious teal and gold background - and a great tip on using the varnish to hide the edges of the rub-ons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Love the gorgeous textures on this and a great colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - rich in colour and texture.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...