Thursday, 11 September 2014

Masquerade Ball by Carol Fox


 

 

 

I have used the set of stamps Masquerade by Oxford Impressions this week to decorate an Artist Trading Block.

 

The Background 


I have used a larger sized Gelli Plate to create my background. I began by brayering a layer of paint onto the plate and then lifting this off onto a sheet of A4 paper, I lifted this off again onto a 2nd sheet of paper to give the same colour but more muted, this is referred to as a ghost image. 

I then laid a stencil onto my Gelli and brayered paint over the top of this, moving and re-brayering until the Gelli was covered with the stencilled pattern. I then re-pressed the 1st sheet onto this, and again took a ghost image on the 2nd sheet. 

I repeated this with different stencils and paint colours until I was happy with my background, each time taking a 2nd ghost image onto my 2nd sheet. I ended up with 2 sheets very similar but one was more muted colour wise.

 

Decorating the Block


I cut my ATB from black card and made up the square.
 
 
 
 
 

I decided to use the 2nd ghost sheet for my cube and I cut 6 squares from this that were slightly smaller than my block to layer onto it. I blacked the edges with acrylic paint and stamped a large cobweb image onto each piece. 
 
 
 
 

 

I now machine stitched around them, if you don’t have a machine you could do this by hand or doodle an edge with a black pen.




 

I stamped all of the images I was going to use onto separate lightweight card and cut them out, and laid them into position on the squares. I decided where I wanted any additional direct stamping on the block, removed my images and stamped the spiders, bats and bats in black Archival ink.




 

I inked all my quotes with Dusty Concord ink. I also coloured my images with Dusty Concord and Picked Raspberry, by adding the colour to my craft mat and picking it up with a water colour pen.
 
I then stuck my images and quotes into position on my cube. I finished with hand drawn lines around the quotes and by adding some Glossy Accents to the spiders, bats and black cat.

  

I used 


Spider Web Stamp: Great selection of these in the Haunted Halloween Section
Distress Ink: Dusty Concord and Picked Raspberry
Fude Ball Pen

 

Carol  Xx

2 comments:

  1. Great Haloween project Carol !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! this block tells a great fun story. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...