Monday, 18 August 2014

Mixed Media with Gelatos Kit Part 2 by Deborah



 

Optional: Masking Tape
From my stash : Sequins, gem, sequin leaves, clay fragments, sun/star wood icon
 

This week I have used the following from the Mixed Media Kit: Champagne Gold Gelato, Glass Bead Glitter Gel, Gel Medium, Palette Knife, Journal Board.

As the kit only has 3 colours of Gelato and I've been using a lot of pink and orange lately, I decided to mix it up by using some of my Portfolio Pastels in blues, greens and purples, along with the Champagne Gold. You could substitute the follow Gelatos: Snow Cone, Blueberry, Green Tea, Grape.

I started by scribbling the pastels over the journal board and then blending with a barely damp baby wipe. I added some of the Champagne Gold Gelato the edges. Then I scraped some of the Glass Bead Glitter Gel through a stencil with the palette knife. It's quite gritty so I would recommend taping the stencil down and using something bigger than the mini palette knife you get in the kit to scrape the gel.

Once the gel had dried I rubbed Champagne Gold over the surface, followed by Jade Green pastel. Again, I used the baby wipe to soften a blend a little.

I stamped and embossed the Henna Petals stamp, also adding a little gold embossing to parts of the stencilled Glitter Gel and round the edges of the journal board. I glued on some small sparkly sequins with a dab of Gel Medium.

Once the background was finished I had to decide what my focal point would be. I decided to make a mini shrine using an arch die and 1" square punch. I started by rubbing it with gold Gelato and Glitter Gel, then purples and jades on top. However it wasn't really working so I embossed it in gold. I added a wood icon, more sequins and some decorated clay fragments from my stash. You could use the clay in the kit, stamp into it, paint it and then rub gilding wax.

I stamped the Lynne Perrella face in Archival ink and coloured it in with watercolour pencils and pastels. Then I painted the star/sun with Squid Ink and glued everything down with a heavy Gel Medium (I don't think the Gel Medium in the kit would be strong enough to glue the clay) or you could use any strong glue.
 
Deborah

7 comments:

  1. Stunning!! What a fabulous way to use that Gelatos kit!! The colours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Debs.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning - you captured the essence of the exotic in this, full of mystique.
    I had looked at this kit and dismissed it but you made it look such a fun kit to play with.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautifully rich and elegant creation Deb and love all the fab texture.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the peacock colours and fabulous gilded textures.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Positively opulent Deborah! Love the eastern style to this. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...