Friday, 23 May 2014

True Colours Journal Cover by Fliss Goodwin


 
 

 

Hello there, I’ve finally managed to get my creative mitts on a journal in my favourite shape and it cost me just £3.50 in my local Sainsburys so I decided to make a start by altering the front cover. I want to use this one for colour inspiration and experimentation, which is the reason for my title. OK, here we go!

 

Here’s What You Need 

Alphabet Stamps
Paint Brushes in various sizes 
Washi Tape – I used shades of grey (not 50!)

 

Here’s How To:
 

·       The first step is to apply gesso to the cover you want to alter and in my case, required patience, as it took 4 coats to make a surface suitable to add more colour. If you look below, you’ll see what it originally looked like. Very busy florals but it has a lovely linen type texture.
 
 
 
 
 
 

·       When the gesso is dry, apply Gelato colour in vertical stripes – I used shades of pink, orange and yellow from the kit. Once I’d applied the stripes, I then dry brushed some of the metallic melon shade horizontally across the cover to produce a rough weave design to echo the linen texture.
 
 
·       Next, stamp on the flowers with the watermelon ink. As my journal has large wires, I stamped the flowers near the wires without using an acrylic block as you can bend the stamp slightly to stamp a partial image. Leave this to dry while you make the embellishments.

 
 

 
 
 

·       Stamp 3 flowers and the girl’s head on to smooth stamping card with the black ink and colour the images with Aquamarkers. Cut them all out, making sure you leave plenty of space at the top of the girl’s head until you decide on the placement of the flowers.
 
 
·       Next, stamp the text using the black ink and trim the words by hand. Ink around theedges with the blue ink and smudge slightly. Colour a piece of stamping card with the blue Distress ink and stamp on a butterfly with black ink and cut out.
 
 
 
 
 
 

·       Assemble the cover as shown, finishing off with washi tape and add pearls to the butterfly’s body. 
 
I can’t wait to get started in my journal and will hopefully have some pages to share very soon.
 
Have a great weekend.
 
Fliss x

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a bargainh, Fliss. Love what you've done with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful cover, love the colours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful alteration of the Journal cover and making it far more personal for what you have in mind.
    Love the flowers in her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab floral fun - she looks lovely!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...