Monday, 19 May 2014

Ocean Deep by Deborah







Distress Paint: Salty Ocean, Stormy Sky
Fresco Finish: South Pacific, Blood Orange
Raw Sienna heavy acrylic (alternatively Fresco Finish Brown Shed mixed with gel medium)
Heat Gun
Speedball Brayer
Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black
Hero Arts: Neon Blue
Distress Ink
: Tumbled Glass, Black Soot, Rusty Hinge
Watercolour Pencils
Gold Crayon (or use gold Gelato)
Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Long Fasteners; Sprocket Gears; Game Spinners
Circle Dies eg Xcut Nesting Circles
Double Sided Tape eg Stix2 Ultra Clear'Pokey' Tool eg Woodware Paper Piercers and Pickup Tools

plus corrugated cardboard (Amazon packaging)




This card was inspired by a feature in a recent Craft Stamper featuring the blistered paint technique. My paint didn't blister quite as much owing to the fact I wasn't using thick (heavy) acrylic paints. I suppose I could have added some gel medium but that didn't occur to me until I had finished.


Firstly I die cut a porthole from corrugated cardboard using two circular nesting dies, plus a rectangle of card for my rusty submarine wall. I brayered a layer of South Pacific onto the card to act as a base and seal the card, then I brushed the various paints on randomly, drying with the heat gun between each layer. Hold the heat gun really close to get the paint to blister. I did the same for the porthole.


I used my finger to spread some Salty ocean around the edges and stamped the Numbers, without an acrylic block, in Jet Black Archival. I also used the Black Soot and Rusty Hinge ink pads 'direct to paper' to add more grunge and a little bit of gold crayon.
I cut a third nesting circle from thin card for my view through the porthole. Again I brayered first in South Pacific, then stamped Mini 72 in Neon Blue and the octopus, seaweed and bubbles with Jet Black Archival ink. I coloured them with watercolour pencils.


I fixed the porthole to the picture with double sided tape, then fixed it to the background.  I pierced the porthole in four places and attached the fasteners, then attached the cogs and game spinner. I gave them all a touch of paint, using my finger, to age them.


As I only had a square card blank to hand I decided to drag Tumbled Glass Distress ink round the four sides (think it was contaminated with Peeled Paint because there are greenish streaks - happy accident!). I stamped Mini 72 in Neon Blue for more texture, then stuck everything together with lots of double sided tape. I left room bottom left for a sentiment.



Deborah

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Deborah, love how you have layered it all up and great colours. The sea blue and brwon tones go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's perfect Deb, works really well x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really effective undersea creation Debs and love that cute upside down octopus looking through your great porthole.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulously effective card, it is as though we are right down in the depths of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Deb, very effective, & great technique! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous -such rich colours. Really gives the feel of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh now that is fabulous Deborah. Glad to see you enjoying using those Under The Sea stamps from IB. Fab aren't they?! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - love your porthole created with those fabulous contrasting colours. Great texture, and such a lovely watery feel in the background - just brilliant!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...