Monday, 21 April 2014

Wonderful, Magical Journal Page by Deborah


 

 

I'm forever starting art journals, filling a few pages and then abandoning them. I think I worry that I will make a really bad, unsalvageable page and thus ruin the journal. This new journal only cost £1.29 in Dunhelm Mill - no expensive Moleskines for me! - so maybe it will free me from worrying.

During a gelli printing session I had a quite a bit of Picked Raspberry paint left on my Hearts and Stars stencil so I stamped with it onto a piece of paper previously brayered with Zesty Zing. It came out a bit patchy but I liked the colour combination so I glued it into the journal.

I used watercolour media to go over some of the white spaces and make the yellow a bit yellower. I edged the hearts and stars with a deep pink watercolour pencil and then blended into the centre with a baby wipe. Once it was dry I went round the edges again to define them with a  mix of watercolour pencil and lead pencil.

Because the paper was narrower than the journal page I cut wavy strips from a gelli print I had previously made using Mini Love Post and (I think) Mustard Seed and Barn Door Distress paints and glued them down the sides.

To add some more texture on the yellow background I rubbed dark pink water soluble pastel (or use a gelato) through the Love Post stencil to make the three hearts at the bottom and the postmarks at the top, then stamped Mini 75 ink splatters in Magenta Hue Archival ink. I cut one of the yellow hearts from my Love Post gelli print and glued that on (top right) then stamped the Crowned Bunnies in Watering Can on the remainder. I used a set of mini alphabet peg stamps to add the words.

I kept colouring and blending until I was satisfied with how it all looked. Maybe next time I'll try a double page spread!
 
Deborah

9 comments:

  1. wonderful - I think the crowned rabbits really compliment the gelli background - love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first page Deb and I wouldn't worry about messing up a page, after all, that's what it's all about isn't it, trial and error? Playing and getting messy!!

    As you know I can't get any of those cheap books, our Dunelm doesn't sell them - typical!!

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic colours and great start to your new journal

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really gorgeous Debs. Such lovely cheerful colours and the bunnies look adorable on your page.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The repetition of the hearts is so pleasing to the eyes and the colour palette reminds me of fruity chews I sometimes ate as a child.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like your Journal page Deborah. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so gorgeous Deb, I love it x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly what you mean about art journals - I seem to have about eight on the go, either in albums or in reclaimed books. This is a stunning start to your new one, and I'm looking forward to lots more!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great colour combo and I love the hares and the hearts. A fab page.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...