Wednesday, 1 January 2014

The Prima Tag Fairy by Alan Scott





This project uses part of the packaging that this stamp actually arrived in. As everyone knows crafter's NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY! this proves the point.
The stamp is from a range of 'Art Dolls' that have been designed by Julie Nutting and Produced by PRIMA. This design is Mixed Media Doll ~ 910143.
 

MATERIALS USED:

The tag backing that the stamp was delivered on (so be careful when opening)
Prima Mixed Media Dolls ~ Wings
JOFY Collection ~ JOFY 13
U-Mount Unmounted A6 Stamp - Bubble Wrap also as a substitute A6 Scattered Words (if you don't have the dictionary stamp which is an old stamp)
Collection of FlexMarkers or Alcohol Markers
Sakura Glitter Pens in various colours
Distress Embossing Ink Pad or Ranger Emboss It Dabber
Clear Fine Embossing Powder
Silver Mica Flakes
Page from an OLD BOOK
Xyron 510
Archival Ink - Jet Black
Set of Water Colouring Blocks or any Water Based Colouring Medium
Scissors
Set of Paint brushes
Mod Podge High Gloss
Collage Glue
Prima Build a Frame Stamp Set - 517724 (there are two sets - if any one has knowledge of where I can get the other set PLEASE PLEASE let me know)
Ranger Adirondak Earthtones - Rust
Washi Tapes
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad's - Mowed Lawn ~ Black Soot ~ Festive Berries
Set of Splat Stamps Sets (a must have for Altered Art Projects) ~ have a look at this set Hero Arts - Stamp Your Story - Brush
 
The Items below were items I used until I had a complete mess up and had to rethink the project to the items above!

Set of Flower Stamps
Kraft Paper
Mister Huey's Color Misters (the reason why everything changed!) Opaque White - Shine
Water Brush 
Collection of Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads


LETS MAKE A TAG!

 



The first thing we need to do is check that we have a tag we can use.
Here as you can see I have just bought 4 of the Art Dolls Stamps as I feel they have a lot to offer. The tag they arrived on does differ in colour hue so it will leave me with a few options when I come to use them.
 


As I was going to be using a water based colouring medium, I selected an ink that will not bleed when in contact with water. Archival Ink is perfect for this type of project working.
 


I was given this set of water colouring blocks a few years back but they have never been used. I wet a few blocks to test them out however they have not been an active part of a project before. As you can see, I did a tester before hand.
The hardest part for me was to get that flesh tone. I could have opted to use one already made up but for me, it would be cheating. So after a lot of trial and error, I came up with a colour that I was pleased with. The wrong colour in the flesh tones would spoil the whole project.
I have done what a lot of us have done and will do again...... Yep that dreaded ink splat right where we don't want it. This time I had no problems with it, as I could embellish the wings with other items. Little did I know that I had bigger fish to fry later on with the wings!
When it came to cleaning up, I decided to leave my flesh colour where it was as if I needed it later for a touch up, all I had to do was use a wet brush to re-invigorate it.
 


After I had finished colouring the doll in, I then had to cut her out. To do this I used my trusty grey marker pen and drew along the outer edge of the stamped image. This would then look okay when I had cut the stamped image out. I'm not the best cutter when it comes to things like this as I just want to get it cut out.. I guess that's why I never got the hang of decoupage when you had to CUT EVERYTHING OUT!
 


To add extra interest and decoration you can't beat your Sakura pens. The glitter comes in a few colours, so much so, you can also add a touch of coloured glitter to almost all of your projects.
 


2 coats of Mod Podge Brilliant Gloss both sealed the image and protected it but the other advantage is that it makes the glitter marks you have made just POP out and look deeply coloured.
 


Now then this is where it started to go pear shaped. Firstly I wanted to put a highly gloss finish to the wings, so to do this I opted to use embossing powder, I thought two coats would give me a nice rich gloss. However when I had cut the wings out, I noticed that I had coloured the same wing shape twice. So I had a purple wing set that had 2 left wings and yes that's right 2 pink right wings. AHHHHHHH. So to help over come this, I thought that if I put down a layer of embossing powder and then sprinkled some silver Mica Flakes into the melting powder it would seal the flakes in and no one would then see the colour of the wings! Yippee, I thought I got away with that one... ALL I'm going to say is read on!
 


I opted to use a set of flower stamps (this is from an old Autumn Leaves set) but we all have flower stamps in our stamp collection. So if I stamped using Tim Holtz Distress Ink and then used a water brush to pull the colour in, then they would fit in with this kinda look I was hoping for. I don't know the name of it but it was the start of the downhill slope!
I used the Opaque White and not the Clear Shine which was the one I WANTED TO USE. So the work I did for the flowers was now well up in flames lol. So I had to think fast. Then a set of stamps that I used a while back fitted it!
 


This is a set of stamps that can be used in most projects and the style is one that fits in by the way you colour.
As I was now in a bit of a rush and behind in this project, I was faced with having to use alcohol pens to colour in. I did want to use the same medium as the original stamped image but it was just something I couldn't afford to do. So for this I used a Memento Ink Pad - Tuxedo Black.
Once again those glitter pens came out and just added that touch.
 


Now then the original tag. You have to remember that this tag has a gloss coating so you're not going to get that perfect stamped image unless you use a selection of StazOn ink pads. I only have 3 colours and 1 of them is black, so that's not an option. However by deliberately going in and making the stamping 'Grungy' and missing parts out, I could get away with missed or blurred stamping. So the first layer was the rust coloured corner stamp - this gave me an anchor for the tag. Then using a bubble wrap design stamp and a green ink, I just pressed the stamp onto the tag without using a stamping block. The next was the text stamp, for this I decided to use the Black Soot ink pad and once again didn't use a stamping block. The last stamping layer was the splats! This was done using a bright red Ink. I could have used my Indian Ink and done the splats that way but time was against me and this project unfortunately wasn't allowed the time needed. I guess that's why we buy our stamps that cover the splats and stitched lines so that we don't have to take the extra trouble and get the sewing machine out. The original tag did have some promotional writing on it, so for the first time I have used my Washi tape. I have seen lots of other projects use this tape and in the past I have tried to make my own (with a little success I have to add) but nothing like the real thing! So a few strips here and there just add something to the tag. So as you see above, I don't think that you would know that this tag was the original packaging from the stamps.
 


The final thing on my tag was to place the flowers onto it. So before I took the glue out and secured them into place, I just laid them down onto the tag and decided where each segment was going. 


There you have it, a project that was made using the packaging. I hope that you will look at all the packaging that your goodies arrive in and think.. How can I USE THIS? I think you might be surprised.

I hope 2014 is going to be a wonderful year for you all and I hope that it's a year when you grow as a crafter and do that technique you wanted to learn but didn't quite get round to doing it.

My wish to you all is Enjoy and be happy no matter what you're doing.

Thank you

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...