Thursday, 12 December 2013

Alice In Wonderland Box by Carol Fox


 
 
 

 

I love things with texture, it doesn’t have to be piles of lumpy stuff, a subtle texture can be just as nice to hold in your hand and touch. I think this is why I love Fresco paints so much as they just give a hint of an uneven surface along with a lovely aged appearance. I have used these and embossing powder to give a gentle texture to the surface of my box.

 

This is what I did
 

·       Sand your box to remove any little “hangnails” of wood and give it a coat of your base coat. I used Sky as my box is Alice themed and it tied in nicely with it.

·       Apply your crackle medium as thin as you can using an old credit card or store card, it should be so thin that it is nearly dry by the time you have finished your last side.

·       Apply a generous coat of your 2nd colour. I used Honeydew as it’s a nice neutral for stamping onto.

·       Seal the whole box with a coat of Satin Glaze.

·       Stamp the  main image of Alice directly onto my box using Black Archival ink. I coloured this using Inktense pencils, but just use your favourite mediums, Distress inks work well.

·       Carefully seal the image with Glue and Seal, painting each colour with a paintbrush as if you were actually colouring it to avoid any colour seepage.

·       Stamp your words.

·       Mask off the image and words.

·       Working on one side of the box at a time stamp the swirls in gold ink and then add gold embossing powder, then heat, make sure you heat with the box lid open or else you may find the sides are sealed together with the embossing powder. (I do use an anti-static bag when embossing over a sealed surface as I have found it helps to stop the embossing powder sticking to the wrong bits).

·       Remove your masks and edge the box with black paint.

·       The leaves are stamped onto cream card and inked with peeled paint and glued in place on the lid.

·       The paper roses were left overs from a set of purple ones, I coloured these with Dylusions sprays and then dipped them in my melt pot to glaze them. When cooled I highlighted them with gilding wax.

·       Glue these to your lid and cover the leaves with Glossy Accents, and highlight the words too.

·       Add a button to the front of the lid.
 
 
 

 

 

I used 

Fresco Paints: Honeydew, Sky, Little Black Dress, Satin Glaze
Gold Ink Pad
Paper Roses
Button

 

This would make a great gift for Christmas and it's very easy to change the theme to suit. It would look lovely with butterflies along the sides and on the lid.
 

I hope you enjoyed it and see you next week.
 
 
Carol x

3 comments:

  1. A gorgeous box Carol,your Alice makes are always cool!mhugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the queen of the decorated boxes Carol - it is beautiful and what wonderful Christmas gift it would make with some home made jewellery inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really gorgeous Carol. Such fabulous texture as always.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...