Wednesday, 13 November 2013

The Flowers Remember (Part 1) by Alan Scott


 
 
 
 
This project went from okay to a NIGHTMARE. It was almost at that point where the shredder was looking like an option. However without knowing, I have created this project for you. I did not know till it was time for the text what direction it was going to take. It’s a case of the Blind leading the Blind on this one.

I have presented two options for you, as the paint in the centre of the flowers was not quite dry and ran, which to me fitted in just right. So I want to show you how even a simple mistake, can make the project just that bit better. 

This project is built up using a lot of things. It’s a case of everything PLUS the kitchen sink trying to fix it when a simple solution was finally reached. For the very first time I have used a foam board. It’s okay for dryer works but when you’re going to saturate it, it will bend a bit. 

 

HERE IS THE SHOPPING LIST: 


A3 Foam Board
Collage Glue ~ Scissors ~ Wide Rimmed Brush ~ Pages from an OLD Book Text + Images
Collection of Martha Stewart Paints (they have great coverage) ~ Water Spray Mister ~ Scrapper
Maimeri Gel ~ PaperArtsy Dusty Rose Acrylic Paint ~ Spatula
Selection of Acrylic Paints ~ Foam Tipped Marker Pen ~ Fruit Netting
Art Parts Clearly for Art Whiteout Sheet ~ Flower Die Spellbinders ~ Die Cutting Machine
Archival Black Ink ~ Large Background Stamp (have used Sam Pool Alpha Writing)
Violet Indian Ink ~ Pipette ~ Pen + Nib
2 Sets of different Font Styles ~ Ruler 

 

LETS MAKE A CANVAS!

 

This is the first time I have used something like this, so it was going to be an adventure. In hindsight I should have gone with my journal. Maybe this was telling me something, as I was about to go on a epic crafting journey (okay that's a bit dramatic but at times it did feel like that lol) So lets start the journey... All buckled in? Drinks at the ready?
 
LETS GO!

 

 

 

First thing we need to do for this project is to lay the foundations. As per normal, the easiest way to do this is by using pages from an old book, followed by a layer of white gesso.
 
 
 

Now then I have to say that I am a convert. Tim Holtz and now Martha Stewart's acrylic paints are FAB! As you're aware, I have almost all Martha Stewart's paints just 2 or 3 of the Metallics are missing and I do have all of the Tim Holtz paints.   

A few blobs (crafting technical phrase that.. Blobs) of the selected paints were placed onto the foam board and with the help of some water from a mister, I was ready to make the next layer of this project. I have in my collection of crafting goodies a plastic scraper. I don't know where it came from or what it was originally meant to do, however saying that it makes the perfect paint mover about'er.  

Then with a few more small sprays of water and banging the foam board on the working surface we had the end result. To protect this layer from contamination or being mixed in with other layers, it needs to be protected. For this I used clear gesso.

 
 

Now this is where it started to go all WRONG. I decided that I would make a glaze by mixing together some acrylic paint with a gel medium in equal parts. By doing this I would make the colour be a tint of the true colour and it would just look as if a thin layer had been put down. I wanted to have a tint and not a full coloured image so I picked out a stencil from my collection and started to scrape the glaze over the stencil. I did use a little to much gel medium and should of in hindsight put some back.
 

Well when I took the stencil off IT WAS A MESS! The glaze had seeped under the stencil and had bleed all over the place. I should have taken a photo to show you what it was like. If it happens again, I will just to show you the fix I had to do. Well for this fix, all I could do was to get hold of my trusty scraper and start to move the glaze around the canvas.


 



Thrust me this is the same project, only the other one was taken at night this one in the morning. To try and resurrect the project, I wanted to try some paper image transfer. I had just watched on a wonderful video I bought from an art store so I selected some text and imagery and placed where it was going to go on the canvas.
 
 
 
 
The trick is to glue it down using a gel medium and then after a short period of time, gently rub the paper and by magic the reverse side of the paper is left behind. Okay it's not magic but its a wonderful thing to show to a group of people. It's also quite contagious as you want to do it. More...... And More.....  The final, 4th layer is it now? I have lost track, as by now panic was going to set in as the next two stages did start that sequence of time.
 
 
 
 
I LOVE JOFY stamp imagery. It's very easy to use and it is also timeless. I would love to have more in my collection, so if Mr Santa thinks I have been a good boy this year (don't think he would say yes but fingers crossed!). 
 
I didn't want a bright impression on the canvas, so I did what I think is referred to as a Kiss Stamp. The first impression is made on some scrap paper and then the following impressions are made on the surface. By doing this, the image will blend into the layer below and not stand out. 
 
The stamps also include nice little border of stamps that can be made into a border with a little thought and planning. To protect the stamping, I have used the collage glue. When you're doing this, you have to dab the glue onto the surface, as it can make your stamped image bleed. Allow to dry.  

 
 
 
I have the Inkadinkado Stamping Gear, so I thought I would bring these into the mix and see what I could do with them. The stamps alone are very, very good. They are also a wonderful tool for those crafters who are not as comfortable stamping as a lot of crafters. The paddle does help with the stamping and the cog's can make sure, if used as it should be, that your able to stamp right where you want and build up a nice image. Unfortunately mine was not such. I have left these in to let you all know things go wrong - we all make mistake's. It was like a dogs dinner after the dog had finished eating. Not one of my best idea's.
 
 

 
So out came the gel and an acrylic paint, as I was going to try and cover the stamping mess up. The idea was not to cover the stamping imagery over and blank them out but as the red was a stronger colour than the stonewashed impressions, this glaze should help mask it. The baby wipe helps soften the edges. As you all know, crafters never throw anything away, so the glaze that was left is placed in a little tub for another project. Little did I know what was going to happen......
 
 
See part 2 next week!
 
Happy Crafting,
 
 
Alan

2 comments:

  1. I really feel for you Alan as I know what it's like when things go rather pear shaped so all I can say is stick with it as I do and end up (well usually!) with something better than the original plan.
    Serendipity rocks!
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fliss.
    I guess with what's going on at the moment in my life l'm not in a place where l feel relaxed. They do say moving house is stressful well they are true as that's what's happening. However one bright thing about the move will be my crafting environment is going to be upgraded YIPPIE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...