Monday, 7 October 2013

Cracklin’ Rosie by Deborah


 
 

 

This shabby chic piece is something of an antidote to all the Halloween stuff I have been making for various challenges.

I gave the frame and the square insert a couple of coats of Concrete using some ink blending foam. When that was completely dry I scraped the thinnest possible coat of the crackle paint (for the smallest crackles) over the top and dried it with a heat gun. I decided to try Distress paint for my top coat, dabbing it on with the applicator but making sure to cover the grey completely, then leaving it to dry naturally. This takes some time – the white paint remained tacky for 2 or 3 hours and it did smudge a little so I had to touch it up later (although I left the Concrete to show through in a couple of places for extra shabbiness).

While I was waiting I rubbed the Distress inks over the roses and leaves, adding a little bit of the Picket Fence on top to tone down the pink. I then stamped some script (from the Santos Angel set) in Watering Can.

When the frame and insert were completely dry I stamped the same script onto the frame and Venus onto the insert. I used the baby wipe I’d cleaned my hands with after inking the roses to give the frame the merest hint of colour in a couple of places. I added a little of the Worn Lipstick to the edges of the frame, along with some golden gilding wax (again, barely there).

I used watercolour pencils to colour Venus’s lips and hair and employed the inky baby wipe again to shade the face. After gluing the wooden flowers onto the frame with Mod Podge, I fitted the insert into the frame.
 
Deborah

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful shabby chic style frame Deborah. Love the look of this. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really gorgeous Debs - love it!
    The only downside being I now have Neil Diamond singing in my head!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. really liking the shabby chic look of this frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect crackle effect, liked the frame, something different :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really beautiful and the crackle looks really good - not always easy to achieve.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...