Monday, 2 September 2013

Love Birds - Cards by Deborah



 
 


 

The other day, with no particular plan in mind, I grabbed a few random stencils and embarked on a gelli printing session. Some of my prints were more successful than others but I decide to work with one of the duds: a fairly plain background in red and orange with touches of green which I had then added three of the song birds to (dabbing through the stencil with a black paint dabber) and stamping off the residue of black paint from the leaf stencil. 
 
 

Why was it a dud? Well, the birds weren’t placed particularly well within the print, for one thing. So I sliced off the top bird and concentrated on the large piece.
 

Life with You is Wonderful 
 
 

I stamped the words in Red Geranium and feathers and eggs from the Nest Egg set in Black. I also inked up the long twig from the nest stamp to give the birds something to perch on. I then added some green and orange pastel, blending it with a damp finger. I used white gel pen to give the birds some eyes.

Having added my usual wonky black marker edge, I sorted through the other prints I’d made to find a background. I chose one of the prints I’d made by running a wooden fork through the paint. I edged the background with the black Promarker as well, then stamped the words in Onyx Black ( I find VersaFine to be the blackest black ink).

Once I had mounted it onto a black card blank I let it sit for a while in my sightline while I was watching television - which was how I noticed that it was unbalanced and needed something in the lower left of the panel. I added black buttons from my stash – affixed with glossy accents and then decided it could use some smaller buttons on the background panel.
 

With Love 
 
 

I gave the remaining piece pretty much the same treatment as the larger panel. This time I stamped the nest in Onyx Black VersaFine, then glued the strip in pace. I then masked that off with a piece of copy paper and stamped the nest again so that some twigs showed above it. To finish I added the sentiment.

I think both of these cards would be great for a husband or partner (the eggs and nest subliminally suggest family man rather than boyfriend, dad or brother – but that’s just my opinion).

Apologies for the bowing on this card – I used a cheap card blank (oh! the shame!). 
 
Deborah

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful creation. Really different works with the same bird. Awesome!
    Have a nice week,
    hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving these Deb....right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cards..love the birdies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous cards Debs. Really love the colours and the birds look gorgeous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are simply stunning! such rich imagery and a great creative process. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic cards, Deborah - I especially love the second one - so completely cool with that rich, luscious print against the sharp white background.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...