Friday, 30 August 2013

Elizabeth’s Garden By Fliss Goodwin


 

 

 

Hello there, I have something a bit different for you this week, as I’ve finally managed to finish a project I started a few weeks ago, which took a while to create as I had a bit of a struggle to find the right colouring medium for the lovely Elizabeth image when stamped on fabric. Do read on, as you might find my discovery very useful if you like using fabric in your artwork.

 

Here’s What You Need: 

Distress Stains in a variety of colours
Calico Fabric
An Embroidery Hoop – mine is 7 inches in diameter
Kitchen (Paper) Towels
Needle and Cream Thread
Craft Mat or Ceramic Plate

 

Here’s How To: 
 

·       Firstly, cut a piece of calico double the width of your embroidery hoop and stamp the Elizabeth image slightly off centre to the upper right of the fabric with the StazOn ink. I really did use the brown ink but for some reason it turned a different colour after stamping, sort of greyish, but hey – I like it!

 

·       Next comes the bit that took a while to work out – painting with the Distress Stains. I used a ceramic plate to add Distress Stain patches to, as I didn’t trust myself not to get the ink where I didn’t want it! Start with the face first and paint with Spun Sugar Distress Stain and a dry brush (this is important as if it’s wet, the ink will run). When you’ve applied it all over the flesh areas, blot with a paper towel. This will remove some of the ink and prevent it running.

 

·       Paint the rest of the image with colours of your choice, blotting each section as you go. I used Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed, Ripe Persimmon and Picked Raspberry for the flowers. Don’t be put off if it looks a little bright, as the blotting will soften the colours. I used Crushed Olive for the leaves and Shabby Shutters for the surround with the butterfly being painted with Peacock Feathers. Leave to dry and then iron with a dry iron to press the fabric flat.
 
 
 
 
 

·       Apply the embroidery hoop over the image, making sure you leave some space on the left hand side for embellishing. Cut the fabric to a rough circle leaving about 4 inches overhanging the edge and then run a thread round the circumference and gather up to neaten the back. You could then cover with a circle of felt if you wish.

 

·       To finish off the wall hanging, glue a selection of flowers in toning but softer shades to your painting around the left side and base of the design. Add gems and pearls to the flower centres. You could paint or spray plain flowers if you prefer and in fact, my yellow and orange ones were painted with Distress Stains.

 

Have a great weekend,

 

Fliss x

3 comments:

  1. Such a pretty piece and I guess you could ring the changes and put other fabric art in the hoop too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty.
    I have a hoop which is a work in progress - in fact I have too many w.i.p kicking around!
    Lovely colours Fliss.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely - like a Victorian sampler - what a clever idea!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...