Sunday, 30 June 2013

The Dapper London Gent by Lynne Moncrieff




 
 

The project I am sharing this week sees me dabbling in something that was a first for me … hand-carving my own stamp, something I’ve wanted to try for some time.

The Speedball Stamp Carving Kit is perfect for a beginner as it includes everything to get you creating your first hand-carved stamp.  The only extra you need is artwork. My artwork was drawn free-hand but you could easily source copyright free images.  You also have the flexibility of creating the same stamp design as two stamps, one as a positive image and another as the negative.

For this post I also made a card using the hand-carved stamp.
 

SUPPLIES
Distress Ink Vintage Photo and Aged Mahogany
Dissolved Walnut Ink Crystals (Distress Re-inker Walnut Stain is a good substitute)
Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher
Kraft Card Base
Cork Sheet
Ranger Sepia Accents
Ticket Die-cuts
Fabric Scrap
Big Ben Charm
Stained Seam Binding Scrap

 

INSTRUCTIONS

SPEEDBALL STAMP CARVING KIT 
 
 

·       I have quite a few stamps which have men with moustaches but I don’t actually own a moustache stamp so when the Speedball Stamp Carving Kit arrived it was time to carve my own moustache stamp! 

·       I made a drawing of a moustache and then traced onto the tracing paper supplied in the kit. I then transferred it to the carving block, following the instructions.  The instructions for all aspects of stamp carving are comprehensive. 
 
 
 
 
 

·       Have some scrap paper to hand, as it is useful to ink up the stamp as you progress to give you a guideline of how well the image is stamping.

·       Once you have created your stamp, it is time to ink up and have some fun creating with it.
  
 
 
CARD

·       Repeatedly stamp the hand-carved stamp onto the card base with StazOn Timber Brown. Overstamp with text stamp from Oxford Impressions London Telegraph with Archival Sepia.
 
 
 
 

·       Apply a wash of dissolved Walnut Crystals to white cardstock. Stamp man from London Telegraph, tear around image and distress with Distress Inks. Layer onto cork and adhere to card base. Stamp man again, cut out hat only and apply Ranger Sepia Accents. Stamp1880, distress edges, adhere to top hat, then apply silicone glue to hat and layer over main image. 
 


 
 

·       Stamp text onto fabric scrap and ticket die-cut (kindly provided by a friend). Stamp London. Attach with Tim Holtz Mini Attacher then embellish with Big Ben charm.
 
 
 
 
 
 
·       Returning to the hand-carved stamp, I repeatedly stamped onto a length of cork. Adhering to top edge of card base. Finally I stamped the moustache once more onto a die-cut ticket, distressed edges and attached to card with an Idea-ology mini binder clip, embellishing with a scrap of stained seam binding.
 
 
 
 
*A note about the Speedball Stamp Carving Kit. Replacement carving blocks can be purchased from That’s Crafty. 

 
Until next Sunday.

Lynne x

14 comments:

  1. That's a fun stamp, Lynne. It makes a great repeat background but I can see it being used lots of different ways. The card is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic stamp you have created Lynne. Love the background. I must use my OI stamps more as you always inspire me with your gorgeous vintage style.

    Crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic make and I totally adore your home made stamp, you are so clever and he used it in such a brilliant way! Great project!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous make Lynne. You always inspire us with your wonderful creations. Making your own stamp must have been fun to make and to use. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card Lynne, WOW..What a great job on that stamp.. That sounds fun creating you own stamp... I might just treat myself to this set....Happy Sunday... Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne, your stamp is great! I made a few a while back...after seeing yours I may have to break out the tools again and make another!
    Love your card! Your stamp pairs beautifully with the gentleman stamp!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynne, your stamp is great! I made a few a while back...after seeing yours I may have to break out the tools again and make another!
    Love your card! Your stamp pairs beautifully with the gentleman stamp!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lynne, what wonderful idea, to make such a set, for all to be able to create ones own stamps!! Your moustache stamp, is a wonderful creation for you to use for all the men stamps you occationally create with!!
    It is the perfect background for your 1880 mr handsome dabber man!!!! and a wonderful card!!
    Hugs, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, he's splendid - and what fun to be carving your own stamp... wow!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Lynne! Have nt tried carving for 40+ years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant work Lynne! i have a speedball carving kit hiding around here somewhere and you've inspired me to try it. if only i can find it... xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a marvelous vintage piece! I love your hand carved moustache, I can see you using that a lot!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super! I haven't done this yet and Lynne sure inspires me to want to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...