Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Fairies and The Dandelions by Alan Scott


 
 
 
 
Again I have used a 12 inch template as a focal image while bringing in images from a stamp set by Viva Las VegaStamps called Plate 1450 (back in stock soon at That's Crafty!). The wings were taken from a set of stamps that I bought a few years ago. I also got to play with some tissue paper from PaperArtsy and two stencils from my craft stash.
 

MATERIALS USED:


12 x 12 inch Blank Canvas
Selected Templates for layering colour onto the canvas (here I have used Crafters Workshop 12 inch templates: Dandelions and Chicken Wire Reversed)
PaperArtsy Crackly Tissue Paper
Post-it Notes
Acrylic Paints (I have used Vermillion, Cadmium Yellow and Primary Blue for the base and a basic Red and Green for the Dandelions)
Baby Wipes
Stencil Sponge

 

LETS MAKE A CANVAS

 


For this project, I took an old canvas. I had been working on an idea, however it just didn't go as I wanted. I have done this to show you that you don't have to use a new canvas every time and that recycling can be done.
 
 
 

The old canvas on the left. As you can see, I had started to build up layers that were going to be used. However I got that dreaded CRAFTERS BLOCK. It just wasn't happening, so the canvas was placed in the 'Wait till later' box.

Using some acrylic paints and baby wipes, I placed a layer of colour all over the canvas. I think baby wipes are wonderful when it comes to blending and moving colour around a surface. I still let some of the older project show through, as I didn't want to just waste what I had done but incorporate it into the new design.
 
 
 
 
Taking the Dandelions template, I selected what I wanted and then using a sponge and some red acrylic paint, I started to use the template as a stencil. 
After I had placed the red onto the canvas using the green paint thinned down, I wanted to lay some more colour onto the project and not just have the 2 red dandelions and seeds. You can just see one of them near to the circle on the left in the picture on the right. Using a black thin liner, I went round the dandelions followed by a red glitter pen. Highlights using a green glitter pen was also added.
 
 
 
 

The use of Gesso doesn't always have to be to 'prep' a canvas or project for use. It's a thick medium that can be used as a layer in its own right. It also covers colours that have been used before.
 
 
 
 
The stamps from Las VegaStamps screamed to me that they would fit in perfectly as 'SteamPunk' Fairies. Due to the way that they have been drawn, the images themselves are able to be used with stamps from other sets. So using the tissue paper, the body of the fairy was stamped out. Then using the mask that had been made while there was still ink on the stamp and stamped onto a post-it note trying to get as close to the 'sticky' end as possible, then carefully cut out.
 
 
 
 
Using the Aquamarkers, I placed colour on the reverse side of the stamped image. 
The picture on the right shows one of the Fairies finished, using a colour pallet of the same colour hues and ones that are close in hue.
 
 
 
 
The 3 finished fairies. To highlight the wings, I used a clear glitter pen.
 
 
 
 

To secure them onto the canvas, I used a matt glue. By doing this, I wasn't going to detract from the imagery that had been secured onto the canvas.
 
Any questions please send me a message and I will get back to you a.s.a.p.
 
Happy Crafting,
 
 
Alan

3 comments:

  1. A fabulously textured creation Alan. Love the bright colours and the clever way you made the fairies.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful fairies and background. TFS A great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...