Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Poppy Tag with Moths by Alan Scott




 
 
 

I wanted to do a tag that had a little bit extra to it. I had received a new set of stamps and die, that has several stamps to over-print. This stamp/die set is by PaperArtsy and is called Hot Pick Stamp & Die 01. I also revisited an old favourite stamp set called Poppy Meadow by IndigoBlu. For the tag I used a 'stamp image stamp from a set of stamps called Crafty Elements - Vintage Tickets and Ephemera CI307 by Crafty Individuals.
During this project, I also did a little experiment by testing various ink pads on the packing foam but more of that later. 
 

MATERIALS NEEDED:

A5 White Stamping Card
Selection of: VersaMagic Chalk Ink Pads (these worked best on the packaging foam sheets)
Adirondack Pitch Black Ink Pad
Fine Embossing Powder
Heat Gun
Craft Mat
Woodware Clip It Tools

Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads ~ Aged MahoganyTea Dye
Page ripped out from an old book
Flat Plastic packaging
Scissors to cut plastic sheets
Strong Double sided tape
Selection of Tim Holtz Distress Markers
Trim that's left from another project (just to add a little embellishment)
Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
Die Cutting Machine
White Foam Packaging ~ If you don't have any then White Stamping Card will work just as well
Selection of Coloured Glitter Gel Pens


LETS MAKE A TAG!

Now then, as normal I like to break my projects down into chunks so that it's a lot easier to work with and I don't forget to do something. So let's start with the moths first.
I have used that white foam you get wrapped around items in boxes - it's not the thick sheets but one that can be wrapped around, say a electrical item. As a crafter, I tend to save almost everything and have boxes filled with bubble wrap and plastic 'just in case'! If you don't have any, then this will work just as well using white card. The stamp set that I have used is the first stamp and die set I have had in my possession. What attracted me to this was the fact I had lots of choice when it came to decorating the moth, as it gives you several options. So the first thing to do, is cut out several of these items and place to one side.
 
  
 
 

Here I have shown what white card cut out would look like.



 
 
 
Here I have die cut the 'Moth' from the white foam.
 



 
 
After experimenting, I found that the best results were achieved by using the Chalk ink. The only down side was I had to let the stamped embellishments air dry overnight, as there was no way I could force the issue. So cut and stamp and then leave the craft room or like me move onto the next chunk of this project. The photo on the right, shows my selection of Chalk Ink Pads ready to stamp onto my die cuts.
 
 
 
 
 
How the stamped image compares between the two different surfaces.
 
 
 
 
 
Using the large poppy stamp, stamp out 2 images. The reason we need 2 is that one will be a top layer. We will bend the edges to give some definition, as well as make the poppy dimensional. The moths flying over a flat poppy, when I tried it, did not look good, so this is why I suggest we go for 2 stamped images. As soon as you have stamped, cover the impression right away into your embossing powder. I have a few of my mostly used powders kept in lock tight tubs. It's alot easier to just dip it right into the tub than have to take the top of a tube, empty the contents onto the stamped image and then have to re-cant the contents back into the tub.
  
 
 
The next few images show the methods used while colouring the poppy tag. As you can see, after I had stamped the poppy and embossed it, I also did the same with some imagery at the base. This was again embossed after stamping. On a scrap tag, I kept note of what colours I used so that if I wanted to re-visit this project again, Ii knew what colours were used. By highlighting the poppy with some glitter and glossy gel pens, you can give just that extra hint of 'sparkle'!
 
 
  

Here you can see the finished layers needed to build up the poppy Tag. All that's needed is to 'distress' the edges using various Distress Ink Pads.

 
 
 

Taking the 2nd tag, all I did was to randomly stamp all over it using the stamp image that was in the stamp set. Then just using the one ink, saturate the tag and allow to dry. 
 
 
 
After securing the poppy tag onto the sheet of paper taken from an old book, the tag was then distressed using the Distress Ink Pads. I also used the same treatment on the paper die cuts, so that they fitted in with the distressed look. Even though I did not use them, they are left for another project.  
 
 
 
Cut out 3 strips of plastic needed to fix the Moths to the tag. I wanted to do this so that the moths looked as if they were hovering over the poppy. Using the double sided tape, I secured the plastic strips onto the stamped out images. To make the plastic strip ready to secure, just fold over at one end as shown in the photo below.
 
 

 
Plastic folded to secure the moths.
 
 
 
 
 
By cutting down and then securing behind the backing tag, the moths look as if they are doing what I wanted them to do. You can use this concept on almost any project when you want to lift an object from the base.
 
 
Alan
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...