Monday, 29 April 2013

Church Windows Canvas by Deborah



 
 

 

Being a fan of anything Medieval, Gothic and Renaissance, I love the church windows stencil by Crafter’s Workshop. I’ve been playing with it a lot while gelli printing.  However for this project I decided it would look good with a raised texture and lots of gilding. So I got out my texture paste and scraped through the stencil onto a canvas using an old store card.
I sprayed the canvas with Dylusions inks in yellows, reds and oranges then zapped it with a heat gun which made it bubble up. I recommend doing this outside or in a very well ventilated room (probably you should wear a mask). I painted round the edges with distress paint then decided it needed more spray ink.

Next I rubbed the gold gilding wax onto the windows.
Nothing was really standing out, plus there were gaps on the canvas, so I added the texture paste stripes and stars, heated it, sprayed again. Added gold paint, plus more gilding wax in Patina and Deep Red.
Getting better... but it was now all a bit too golden so I propped the canvas up and sprayed Dylusions Black Marble over the lot, blotting over the windows with paper towel. Hmm, needs more gilding wax in places...
And thus I continued faffing about with it until I was happy.  As you may have guessed, this is all about building up layer upon layer until you get the effect you want.
It’s not perfect (the stars are a bit misshapen and too close to the windows) but it was fun to create.
 
Deborah

9 comments:

  1. Your church window is beautifully done, and really gives the feeling of an ancient medieval abbey with a dark interior and the light shining through. You have great patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning Debs! Just love the Gothic effect you've achieved - it looks amazing.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. New favorite! I have that stencil and have not used it yet. You've inspired me - thank you. Love this so much! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully tactile looking piece Deborah. Love that stencil!
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous colours & textures Deb...got my eye on that window stencil myself! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...