Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Tea Time Tag by Alan Scott






I decided this time to go for a Tag Project, as I have kind of been making larger projects over the past few weeks. Once again I dipped into another of my favorite stamp designers Lynne Perrella who's range of stamps are part of the PaperArtsy stable of crafting supplies.  

MATERIALS USED:

Lynne Perrella Collection LPC014 Stamps
Manilla Tag 
Selection of Pan Pastels
Pads and Handles

Indian Ink and Pen
Selection of ProMarkers including the Neon Set
Selection of Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads and Markers
Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink Pad
Clear Embossing Powder 
Heat Gun
Tweezers

A5 White Photocopy Paper
Selection of Dylusions Stencils
2 Home made Paper Beads (made using HOTP Bead Maker Template)
Twine for Beads
Tin Cheap as Chips Hair Spray
Stamps Away Ink Blending Mat A3 or A4
Heatproof Stamping Mat
Sharp Tipped Scissors (I can recommend the Tim Holtz Non Stick Micro Serrated Scissors, they do what they say on the label and I never thought that I would say this!) 

LETS MAKE A TAG! 



 

After stamping out the image, I quickly dipped the 'wet inked' tag into my clear embossing powder tub. Then using the heat gun and tweezers, I heat-embossed the image so that it was now waterproof and no matter what I was going to throw at it, the main image would be just as I stamped it. Then on some scrap paper, I stamped another impression and carefully cut the figure and hat out. This was to become the mask I needed for the next few stages of the project.




 
Using ProMarkers, I started to add colour onto the manila tag. I have found that when working on surfaces I'm not too sure about when it comes to working with ProMarkers, using a tissue to just dab onto the area just coloured, is a good way to remove some of the 'colour'.
 
 

I placed my paper mask onto my coloured image as I wanted to protect what I had just done. I selected my masks and chosen colouring mediums - this time I wanted to use a selection of Distress inks, so I could regulate the depth of colour that was going onto the surface of the tag. When you use inks, you're not able to do this unless you're using water, which in this case would severely damage the make up of the tag.


 

The next step was to colour the background. I have not explored what Pan-Pastels can do. However this will change, as I have just started to do a Art Journal (more later). If you look closely, you can see how the mask has protected the stamped image. Using the selected Pastels and the blending tools, I started to blend colour on to the tag. As you can see, the colour has stayed the same from the tub to the surface. It is a wonderful medium and you will be very surprised at what they can do. On You Tube, there are lots of videos helping you to understand what they do. A quick blast of hair spray helps fix the Pastels.



 

I wanted to add some definition to areas. For example if you look closely at the box around the stamped image, it looks lost after all the work that had been done to the background. By using bright Indian inks that complement the colour scheme, I was able to 'define' areas, then it did not just 'melt' into the background. This made the stamped figure stand out a lot more. The last thing to do was to secure the beads onto the tag. Another item I can say is one of my fav's is the Bead Template. I can now use up lots of my scraps that l have trimmed off my projects.
I will do a tutorial on how I made these beads, however that could well be a video as it's something I will not be able to photograph to its best advantage.
There you have it a tag that can be now secured as a focal point on a card and can be given to anyone and for quite a few occasions.
 
Can I also take this opportunity to say that I have made another video, this time showing you what I have done in preparing my Art Journal ready for my next long term project. It's just showing you what I have done and there is no techniques as such, just a few ideas. I hope it might help new crafters who are scared of that vast white area.

Just click on this link to visit the video... (please be kind in your comments lol)  My 1st Art Journal. 

Thank you for reading this and hopefully visiting the video.

Happy Crafting 

Alan

3 comments:

  1. Lynne Perrella + vibrant colour - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely bright and quirky creation Alan. I love it too!
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...