Sunday, 3 March 2013

Roll Up! Roll Up! - Vintage Circus Altered Ribbon Spool by Lynne Moncrieff


Hello,
My name is Lynne Moncrieff. In 2006, in search of a new hobby, I stumbled upon stamping. It quickly became a passion! I am self-taught and like to create a variety of items from cards, tags, altered art, jewellery, etc. and like to incorporate re-cycling, household items and utilise scraps as much as possible. My style is most definitely vintage whether using stamps or incorporating digital images and I am a huge fan of photo real stamps.
I started my Blog, Adorn in December 2009. It has provided wonderful opportunities to be on a variety of DTs (and GDs). I have been published in several Stampington & Co publications:- Somerset Studio, Somerset Studio Gallery, Sew Somerset, Somerset Life, Somerset Holidays & Celebrations, The Stampers' Sampler, Take Ten and Catch-Up.
I am so delighted to be a Guest Designer for That's Crafty and hope you will enjoy the projects I will be sharing in the month of March.

 
 

 

Supplies 


Instructions  

A used ribbon spool cried out to be altered and Oxford Impressions' Vintage Circus was the stamp plate to have some fun with.    

First step, I padded out the spool as there was too much depth. I measured the spool, cutting copier paper into several strips which I glued to the recess. I cut a strip of white cardstock using the same measurement but allowing a little extra to the length which I laid aside for later.

Distress Ink Antique Linen was sponged onto white cardstock. Using StazOn Timber Brown, I stamped 16 tickets which I cut out. The edges of four tickets were abraded and Distress Ink Tea Dye applied.  The tickets were adhered to the strip of cardstock from earlier, with the final two tickets glued to the back of the strip. This was glued to the ribbon spool gently curving the end tickets. 

Using the top of the spool as a template, I drew the circle onto white cardstock, then applied Distress Stains in Antique Linen and Tattered Rose. I repeatedly stamped the swirl and ball with Distress Ink Tattered Rose before stamping the ball with StazOn Saddle Brown. Onto leftover stained cardstock, I stamped 9 stars before cutting out and gluing to the circle. The circle's rim was distressed before gluing to the ribbon spool. I applied Eco Green Crafts Copper acrylic paint randomly to the edge.  

I applied Distress Stain in Antique Linen to white cardstock then with StazOn Timber Brown, I stamped the Ringmaster, tiger, emblem, man and dog. Distress Stain in Tattered Rose was applied to another piece of cardstock, onto which I stamped the curtains. I cut out all images and for the tiger, I cut away the ball he stands atop. The edges of the images were inked with Distress Ink Brushed Corduroy and Glossy Accents applied to the Ringmaster's hat, dog's collar and emblem. The curtains were embellished with the emblem before applying pearl stickers and dimensional paint dots.

Lynne

26 comments:

  1. Oh Lynne, this is fabulous! So often I have wondered what to do with an empty spool. Sincere congrats on being the Guest Artist for March. So well deserved. Best, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne, this is absolutely fabulous! Love the circus theme and how you put that spool to such great use! Brillian alteration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a stunner! I really like how it's not trad circus colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous make Lynne and thank you for the step by step in how you achieve it. Love the circus theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous creation Lynne, Love the circus theme... Thank you for the tutuorial... Love it!! Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous altered piece Lynne with a fabulous theme.

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, how creative and beautiful, dear Lynne!!!!!!! This creation is so eye-catching and the colours perfect. Really great work!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynne your work is always amazing and this is no exception. Thank you for the instrubtions...I may have to attempt some altered ribbon spool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning alteration Lynne and the decorated spool idea is fabulous with amazing results.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just amazing Lynne and just goes to show that there is so much more in this wonderful hobby than we could have imagined. A brilliant and inspiring project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, this is wonderful, great inspiration.
    Suzi B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your Guest Design post Lynne! Your creation is FAB-U-LOUS with genius use of ribbon spool. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, gorgeous project from Lynne - so full of the wonderful vintage detailing that is her signature! Fabulous inspiration, thank you!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what an amazing project from Lynne! I admired the sneak peek on her blog but now getting to see the whole stage it's even more stunning. Totally lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gorgeous 3D piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is wonderful, Lynne! Such an effective use of the ribbon spool and I love that dog, sitting up and begging!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooo really fabulous down the last wonderful detail!
    Very inspiring...thank you so much for sharing
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabolous..I have to write it, even Patty and others did the same :-) it is a gorgeous piece dearest Lynne, -the spool acts fantastic as the circus platform- so beautiful,-and love the dog and tiger aswell as the handsome man!
    xox, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very Inspiring... welcome to the team for March. I look forward to seeing what other fab projects you bring to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!!!! I really LOVE your concept and design. I have to make this. How creative! Really, really awesome!

    Laura from Sunday View

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...