Thursday, 21 March 2013

Mountboard Book Cover by Carol Fox






Hello,

This week I am going with my favourite themes of making something from nothing, just odd bits and pieces that I had laying around in my craft room.

 

 
 

I am going to share the cover of a book I have made with you today. I started with two pieces of left over mountboard, that I cut to 13cm x 15cm.

 


 

I then dug out my box of die cut letters and choose a selection to make up the word Album and stuck these into position as shown. I keep all my leftover letters from kits and sheets in a box. I do own a die cutting machine and have several alphabets, but I do prefer to mix up various letters, as I like the way it adds to the randomness of something. I will be painting these so it doesn’t matter that they all look so different. I did lightly sand the fronts of the pre-coated letters so they were easier to paint.

 

 

 
I gave it all a coat of Fresco Paint in Pansy, let this dry and then dry brushed on a bit of Baltic Blue and London Night. I heat set this and then gave it a coat of crackle medium.

 

 
 

I heat dried this again. I then gave it a coat of Honeydew, I applied this very quickly and randomly over the front, as I wanted it to look old and flaky and for the colours underneath to really show through.

 


 

Using the same colours as before and adding in Pea Coat, I again dry brushed the surface, paying attention to the letters so they “popped” a little bit, this is adding gently colour so the paints underneath all show through. I gave it all a coat of Glue N’ Seal ( I used glossy). I added a little bit of Treasure Gold (this gilding wax here is a very good alternative) to the cover to highlight certain aspects of it.

 


 

This is going to be a gift for someone and it’s intended to be a photo album, so with this theme in mind, I now decorated the front.

I started by making some flowers. I cut my shapes using the Alterations Tattered Florals Die, using odd bits of left over book pages from when I have cut bits out of books to alter them. I laid these on my craft mat and thoroughly spritzed them with Dylusions in After Midnight and Crushed Grape, finishing with White Linen.

 

 
 

I now made up my flowers. (There is a tutorial for these on the Tim Holtz Blog). Once made up, I gave them a final spray with Cosmic Shimmer Bilberry Crush, Ancient Copper  and the While Linen spray again (I think I am addicted to the White Linen, it is amazing). I coloured my leaves in the same way.

 

 

 
Now my flowers were made, I gathered everything I thought I might use on the cover and had a bit of a think. I decided to stamp the cover with the IndigoBlu stamp Bubbles Background using Blue Violet Archival ink. I then added my pieces to the front moving them around until I was happy with how they all looked. I then glued them all in place using Glossy Accents. I also cut holes with my Zutter to assemble my book. This book will work just as well assembled with book rings, which are available HERE.

I will be assembling my book and making the inner pages for my post next week, so do please pop  back to have a look.
 

I used 

Odd Word Charm and Piece of Ribbon
 
 
Carol

3 comments:

  1. What a fab gift. I really like the bubble stamp/crackle combo - very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic to see all those layers taking shape - a fabulous make!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that, it has given me ideas on how to decorate a little album I have, I have some chipboard letters and shapes stashed away somewhere.....

    Cazzy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...