Monday, 21 January 2013

Mermaid by Deborah



 


For the topper I used the sailing mermaid from Character Constructions She Sells Seashells Plate 12 stamped in Cobalt Ranger Archival ink and the bubbles from Kaisercraft Rock Pool stamped in the same ink plus Hero Arts Neon Green and Neon Blue. I used a white sketching pencil to colour in the sail and mute the cobalt inked bubbles – and coloured pencils on the mermaid.
I created the background for the topper when trying out a bubble technique I’d seen on a blog. It didn’t really work on this piece but it looks good anyway because it gave the colours a patchy look. Whisk some washing up liquid in a bowl of water, spritz some Dylusions or other ink spray onto the surface then carefully place your card on top. You should see a bubble pattern forming. Dry with a heat gun before dipping in again/into another colour. I used Fresh Lime and (I think) Vibrant Turquoise.
I sprayed a piece of A4 white card with the same spray inks but this time I wiped them with a barely damp baby wipe, blotted with paper towel and added some Mr Huey’s Mist: Opaque White from Studio Calico to make it paler. I stamped the bubble stamp again with the neon inks and Evergreen Bough Distress ink.
I cut it into two pieces, ran the smaller piece through a Spellbinders M-Bossabilities: Sea Beauty embossing folder and inked over the raised parts with the Cobalt Archival ink. I cut a strip off the large piece and stamped the seaweed frond from the Rock Pool set in the archival ink.
I assembled the card using double sided tape,stamped the fish from PaperArtsy Hot Pick 1111 in Cobalt, then added the seaweed frond round the edges (stamped with Evergreen Bough). All edges are inked with the Cobalt Archival ink.
It needed something extra that wasn’t square or rectangular, so I rummaged through my die cuts and found a cog in the right colours that could pass for a ship’s wheel.
It’s now ready to attach to a card blank.

Deborah

12 comments:

  1. this is lovely ... one of my fave colour combo's. love all the details

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous Debs. really love the undersea tones and the bubbles effect.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely watery colours and the embossed texture looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really really nice. Lovin' your bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Deb,really love this the colours and design are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely backgrounds....good design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Deb, amazing depth to those colours x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful stamped and decorated.I love the fabulous colored background(turquoise is my fav. color too)
    xox Anja

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great lay out and super use of the stamps, and I adore that colour combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so many structure beautifully put together

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful colours Deborah and I really love the bubbles! The whole piece has such a great layered look which creates great depth.
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...