Friday, 11 January 2013

Adore Canvas by Fliss Goodwin





Here’s my first project for That’s Crafty and I’d like to say a huge thanks to Laura for inviting me to join the team so that I get to play with some of my favourite things.
 
I decided on a canvas board as I find them easier to stamp on and have made a rather grungy, vintage background to showcase the adorable Cupid image by Lost Coast Designs, which I had to have as soon as I saw him.


Materials:
Lost Coast Designs Stamp – Cupid in Window
Kaisercraft Twig & Berry Flourish Clear Stamp Set
5x7 Canvas Board
Smooth White Card
PaperArtsy Sherbet Fresco Paint
Distress Inks– Peacock Feathers, Seedless Preserves, Tattered Rose, Pumice Stone, Old Paper
Distress Embossing Ink
Archival Black Ink
Distress Ink Re-inker – Tattered Rose
Perfect Pearls – Rust
Tim Holtz Flourish Mask
Stampendous Fran-tage Embossing Enamel – Aged Silver
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Foliage
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Adage Tickets
Plain White Flowers to alter
Warm Grey ProMarker
Ranger Mini Mister
Paint brushes Claudine Hellmuth’s set is fabulous
Heat Gun


Here’s How To:

·        Paint the canvas board with the Sherbet Fresco paint – I only needed one coat for a really good coverage.

·        I then made a custom shimmery mist by mixing a few drops of the Tattered Rose re-inker to a mini mister bottle with a little water and a small amount of the Rust Perfect Pearls. A quick shake and I sprayed this on the canvas after adding the flourish mask. This gives a subtle effect so you could use a darker re-inker if you want a stronger colour.

·        Using the Distress embossing ink (which is really juicy and just what you need for the Fran-tage enamels), I stamped on the large flourish from the Kaisercraft set in opposite corners of the canvas and embossed them with the Fran-tage Aged Silver. A few specks remained on the canvas board but this adds to the grungy effect.

·        I then went round the edges of the canvas board with the embossing ink and embossed these with the Aged Silver enamel. I really love the chunky textured look of this embossing powder!

·        I stamped the Cupid image with the black ink twice on smooth white card and coloured just elements of the Cupid on one and the window surround on the other using the Distress inks. I added patches of ink to a craft sheet and picked up colour with a damp paintbrush.

·        I cut out the Cupid image and the whole image on the second stamped image, cutting round the window to leave a slightly wiggly edge (I tried tearing but it didn’t look right). I then edged everything with a deep warm grey Promarker.

·        I made a floral embellishment by colouring 2 plain flowers with watered down Distress inks and dried them with a heat gun. I layered them up with a metal flower and fastener from the Foliage set.

·        I assembled the canvas as you see using foam tape and double sided tape. My favourite trick was used on the Cupid as I put double sided tape at the base of the image and foam tape at the top – this makes the image lean forward slightly and gives a more realistic look.

·        I finished off with just the word trimmed from an Adage Ticket as the whole ticket was too much.

 
I hope you like this and it really is much easier to make than you might think, there’s nothing complicated although it might look it!



Fliss xx






 

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful canvas, love all the beautiful layers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's positively luscious, Fliss. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FAB... Wonderful canvas Love the colours used. Looking forward to learning new techniques from you Fliss. The whole team has encouraged me to enjoy a new adventure when it comes to my Creativity. Thank you in advance and welcome to the team.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant Fliss! This almost speaks! Love all the frantage and flourishes. That cupid is a stunner. Thank you for all the deets - great piece of art. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely - that cupid jumped out at me too. Love those Frantage embossing powders.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great canvas... and thanks so much for all those how-to details!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful Fliss. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...