Sunday, 19 August 2012

Gift Box by Deborah






I decorated a cheap balsa wood box very simply with paint and a stamp. I didn’t have any clear idea when I started what I would do. So first, I painted it inside and out with one coat of Claudine Hellmuth Studio Black Gesso. I hadn’t used black gesso before and I was very impressed with the consistency and coverage ( I admit, I usually used a cheap white gesso from a discount shop, which is much thinner).

I chose Eco Green Crafts Acrylic Paint - Pistachio for the lid, a paint with very good coverage as well as sound environmental credentials. Eco Green paints also come in a fabulous range of colours, so you could choose a totally different colour combination. I liked the way it contrasted with the black, so left the box base as it was.

I wanted an image that would look good in black and decided on this stamp from the new Lynne Perrella Collection 0011 by PaperArtsy. I stamped it onto white tissue paper with Jet Black Archival ink, then tore carefully round it. Stamping onto tissue paper is a good way of adding a stamped image to something that might be difficult to stamp onto, as when glued, the tissue pretty much disappears into the background - in theory.

I covered the lid with Mod Podge - Matte, stuck the stamped tissue down, before adding another layer of Mod Podge on top.

I freely admit that I am not the most patient crafter but after 15 minutes or so, it did not look as if the white tissue was going to disappear completely. So I decide to paint over the tissue with my finger, using pistachio round the edges and a little Eco Green Butternut over the image. I wiped over it quickly with a barely damp baby wipe, to reveal the black stamping.

Finally, I edged the top of the lid with Jet Black Archival to define it.

Deborah

10 comments:

  1. Looks great to me Deborah! Love how you have put this together. Still haven't played with tissue in this way so this is a timely kick up the rear to do so!! especially if it comes out looking half as good. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab box and just love the colour xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, and I like it when you post a "Sneak Peek" link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous little box - love the idea of the black gesso. The green is gorgeous next to the black stamp too.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good to me Deborah and that colour green is devine :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this box Deb... colours are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever idea to go over the image with a little colour! Lovely looking box. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...